Thursday 7 January 2021

FIRST POST

 FIRST POST 28-Aug-2020

I stumbled upon a Brand New In The Box Airfix model of the '1930 Bentley 4.5 Litre Supercharged' kit that I remember building way back when I was a schoolkid. The kit was unopened and although the box was a little grubby, everything inside was as new! The decals looked a bit discoloured and may not even be usable - I won't know until it comes to trying them at the end of the build. Maybe Airfix can supply some new ones?

I've not built a plastic model for over 40 years, so this is going to be quite a challenge. As a kid I was a prolific kit-builder (mainly aircraft), but that was then and this is now. I'm older, have poorer vision and don't think I retained any modelling skills, so it'll be like starting from scratch. Hopefully, it will be enjoyable.










So here goes - the first few steps begin with the engine. Straight away I am amazed at the modern glue applicators. Wow, that fine needle is just amazing! I soon remember that the glue virtually melts the plastic pieces and welds them together. I also quickly learn that excess glue strips the plating of any chromed parts - oops!

It's not going too well, but I'm not worried about it too much - it's a learning process and I tell myself I'll get better. Another new experience for me is the acrylic paint - it's obviously radically different to the old enamels that I used to use. And it's soooo easy to clean the brushes!






So there we have it. My first plastic kit building in four decades and I really enjoyed it! Looking forward to doing the next bit - especially when I've finished decorating at home and can build a permanent work area in the spare room.


Thanks for visiting.


No comments:

Post a Comment