Monday 4 January 2021

BAD PAINT MATCH???

 DAY FOUR 31 Aug 2020

What a crap day. Instead of getting better, I swear I'm getting worse!!

I put the main body-panels on and a few other bits and bobs, and then realised that the paint finish on the bonnet panels is far better (or more glossy) than the bodywork. How could I not have noticed that before bonding the body to the chassis?? 😲😫😫😭 Such a jackass.

 

Ah well, it's another lesson learned. Like I said right at the start, this was never gonna be anything special - just the first step back into modelling after a lifetime away, lol.


I've come to the conclusion that beginners like me may need to buy TWO kits so that they can discover all the pitfalls on the first attempt and then maybe produce a great model on the second. Having said that, I've been doing this model from a makeshift/temporary location in the conservatory and I'm sure that things will be better when I can build my permanent modelling area in the spare room.








And then I discover from friends on the Model Ship World forums that the Bentley did have gloss bonnet panels and the body was actually painted canvas over an ash frame - so the finish I was moaning about is actually as it should be!


Even though the finish ends up actually being correct, I'm still scolding myself for not noticing that there was a difference in the first place. This time I got lucky, but next time it could be different.




No comments:

Post a Comment